Alternative service

Service by alternative method or at an alternative place. If the petitioner ( or applicant cannot effect service on the respondent ( , they may make an application for permission to substitute some other method of service for serving the petition or application, under Family Procedure Rule 6.19 or 6.35. Alternative service is relevant to a divorce or dissolution petition when:

  • All the petitioner's efforts to serve by post and personal service have failed.

  • There is insufficient evidence to apply for deemed service.

In the context of a petition, the alternative method of service might be posting the papers to the respondent's bank, a relative or employer or by an advertisement, provided the petition can be expected to come to the respondent's attention.

{ "siteName" : "PLC", "objType" : "PLC_Doc_C", "objID" : "1247828857234", "objName" : "Alternative service", "userID" : "2", "objUrl" : "", "pageType" : "Resource", "academicUserID" : "", "contentAccessed" : "true", "analyticsPermCookie" : "2-62dceab2:15b0b6ed4bb:-6500", "analyticsSessionCookie" : "2-62dceab2:15b0b6ed4bb:-64ff", "statisticSensorPath" : "" }