Ask PLC Home

Practical Law may have moderated questions and answers before publication. No answer to a question is legal advice and no lawyer-client relationship is created between the person asking the question and the person answering it. Where appropriate, you should consult your own lawyer for legal advice. Practical Law's employees are not practising solicitors or barristers. The Ask scope and rules apply.

If a person needing residential care jointly owns a residential care home business should it be taken into account in the financial assessment and if so, how would the sale of a part of the business be enforced?

My question is in respect of property disregards for financial assessment for residential care fees. If a client needing residential care jointly owns a business (a residential care home) would you take this business into account in the financial assessment? If so, how would we enforce selling a part of a business (that could potentially results in the closing of the care home and, therefore, all residents in the home having to be moved)?
Anonymous (Public Sector)

Request a free trial

To access this resource and thousands more, register for a free, no-obligation trial of Practical Law. Register using the button below, telephone +44 (0)20 7202 1220 or e-mail

A free trial will give you:

Unlimited access to Practical Law online know-how
Thousands of market standard documents and clauses
Daily alerts and weekly update e-mails on key legal developments in your practice area


Log in

To access this resource, log in below or register for free access.

Contact us

Our customer services team are available every working day 8.30am to 7pm (GMT).

{ "siteName" : "PLC", "objType" : "PLC_Doc_C", "objID" : "1248453463040", "objName" : "a-037-9463", "userID" : "2", "objUrl" : "", "pageType" : "Resource", "academicUserID" : "", "contentAccessed" : "false", "analyticsPermCookie" : "2-3b01f5d1:15afa1a5df3:-2f51", "analyticsSessionCookie" : "2-3b01f5d1:15afa1a5df3:-2f50", "statisticSensorPath" : "" }