- The 21st century imperative of globalisation
- The economic imperative to quantify value
- Defining the legal imperatives of lawyers in business
- Defining and measuring coverage
- More from less - more coverage from less headcount
- More from less - more coverage at less cost
- More compliance, and greater client satisfaction at the same time
- Theory in practice - the Tyco experience
The Smarter Legal Model is a practical toolbox of complementary methodologies which have been applied on a multi-million dollar scale and proven to:
- Reduce legal costs.
- Increase the legal work covered without increasing cost or headcount, by maximising individual potential.
- Improve both compliance and client satisfaction at the same time.
- Replace the traditional law firm-client tension with a mutually profitable partnership.
The Smarter Legal Model applies world-class business and behavioral principles, such as Six Sigma, return on invested capital, zero-sum game theory and neuro-linguistic programming to the practice of law for the first time with tangible results.
Recently reported benefits of the Model include a 27% reduction in legal fees, a 60% reduction in litigation volume and demonstrable improvements in client satisfaction. The Smarter Legal Model will be of use to in-house lawyers, private practitioners and even professionals from non-legal disciplines.
The Smarter Legal Model has been adopted by major concerns and has been the subject of extensive analysis across the world. The Author has lectured on the Model at Harvard Law School, Oxford University, Georgetown Law School; in Washington, New York, London, Amsterdam, Brussels, Stockholm and Sydney.
The American Lawyer's webcast where Trevor Faure explains how law firms can use common sense and data to improve coverage, compliance, and client satisfaction at a lower cost:
- Click here to view the video conversation with Trevor Faure and The American Lawyer's editor in chief, Aric Press.
About the Author
|Click here to learn more about the Author, Trevor Faure.|
"Trevor Faure is one of the most creative and systematic thinkers about contemporary business law. He shows how the holy grail of business productivity - doing more with less applies to inside lawyering (more legal coverage with less headcount and less cost) and to inside lawyers' relationship to outside firms (negotiated cost savings that are "win-win"). He argues, persuasively, for inside lawyers as essential members of top business leadership. Bursting with ideas, his book is a "must read" for business people and the lawyers who work with them."
- Ben W. Heineman, Jr, Former GE Senior Vice President for Law and Public Affairs and Distinguished Senior Fellow at Harvard Law School's Program on the Legal Profession
"By combining cutting-edge insights from management theory, economics, psychology and linguistics, Trevor Faure demonstrates how general counsel can collect and apply empirical data to significantly improve their company's legal coverage, while dramatically reducing overall legal costs - all the while raising the satisfaction of business clients and improving relations with outside counsel.Like Malcolm Gladwell's "Tipping Point" and Jim Collins' "Good to Great", Faure's "The Smarter Legal Model" is the rare book that will be read with equal interest and appreciation by both practitioners and academics. It is destined to become an important part of any conversation about the role of law and lawyers in the global economy."
- David B. Wilkins, Lester Kissel Professor of Law, Vice Dean for Global Initiatives on the Legal Profession, Faculty Director of the Program on the Legal Profession and Center on Lawyers and the Professional Services Industry, Harvard Law School
"The Smarter Legal Model is perhaps the boldest and certainly the most prescriptive of the new books that fundamentally challenge conventional legal service and practice. Drawing heavily on management theory, economics, and organizational psychology, and rooted also in his extensive practical experience as an in-house lawyer, Faure offers a set of tools to help reduce costs, increase legal coverage, improve compliance, and increase client satisfaction. More ambitiously, he casts aside the traditional, often fraught, commercial relationship between law firms and their clients and replaces this with a species of partnership arrangement, under which the business interests of the in-house lawyers and their external advisers are much better aligned."
- Richard Susskind. Richard has specialised in legal technology for 25 years. He is an independent adviser to major professional firms and to national governments. He lectures internationally and has been invited to speak in over 40 countries. He has written and edited numerous books, including The Future of Law (OUP, 1996) and The End of Lawyers? Rethinking the Nature of Legal Services (OUP, 2008) and has written over 100 columns for The Times.
Order your copy now
Practical Law subscribers receive a 20% discount if they order The Smarter Legal Model via Sweet & Maxwell. Contact the customer services team on +44 20 7202 1200 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a promotional code.
Find out more about Practical Law including how to subscribe or request a free trial.