Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
About this practice area
In vogue again: construction management
Kimberly Roberts, associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"In the last 12 months I have seen several projects move from two-stage design and build to construction management… [in each case] the client has been faced with a contractor who is unwilling to take on the full risk of DB without the promise of a significant premium."
Legal and equitable assignment arguments delivered through the mail
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"What I found helpful from the judgment is how it identifies the conditions that need to be satisfied for there to be a legal assignment."
Time waits for no man: an important decision on delays in construction contracts
Laurence Page, barrister, Hardwicke
"Now that the commercial implications of the clause have been highlighted, the JCT may well reconsider the manner in which delays are calculated..."
Our take on the new ACE Professional Services Agreement, 2017 edition
Dwight Patten, group legal director, Association for Consultancy and Engineering
"It arose in part because of a persistent market response that the 2009 editions (as revised) were too consultant friendly and perhaps not easy to use in terms of layout and style."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Does the NEC3 Term Service Contract permit partial termination?
- Can an architect object to its documents appearing in a planning application on a planning authority's website?
- What happens if a building contractor's quote is accepted but it doesn't cover all the works required?
- Can I claim for loss of future work arising from a supplier's defective goods?
- Can parties agree that a contractor must pay part of the employer's QS' fees for calculating sums due under the contract?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- High Court confirms trial expedition principles for procurement claims
- Construction blogs: ACE, assignment and extensions of time
- February 2017 digest: rainy days and Donald Trump
- Public sector blogs: The UK's withdrawal from the ECHR, public children law digest, December's Civil Procedure Rule Committee meeting and the new online database of employment tribunal decisions
- Guidance on lodging skeletons for interim application hearings in the TCC
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.