Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
About this practice area
Caribbean dream turns to sand in luxury beach resort development
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"If you don't do anything more, I implore you to read the first 13 paragraphs to get a feel for the case's "startling features"… The facts demonstrate that you can't make this stuff up and the real world really is (sometimes) better than fiction."
A brave new world? Implementing “alliancing” using NEC3
John Hughes-D'Aeth, partner, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"One of the key challenges inherent in trying to adapt NEC3 for an alliance… [is] that the contracts themselves can at best provide a framework only."
My 2017 wish list
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS Ltd
"No doubt we've all now had enough of reading about the annus horribilis of 2016, so I'm not going to dwell on that. Rather I want to set out my 2017 construction law wish list."
Welcome to 2017
Practical Law Construction
"The chief beauty about time is that you cannot waste it in advance."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can an employer recover the cost of complying with more stringent statutory requirements as part of a claim for damages for defective work?
- Can a party claim a pay less notice is invalid because it shows a zero amount?
- Can the employer withhold payment because the contractor fails to return the contract signed?
- Can a responding party in adjudication raise a counterclaim?
- Is there any case law on the meaning of "substantial remedy" under the Late Payment Act 1998?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.