Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
About this practice area
Our take on the new ACE Professional Services Agreement, 2017 edition
Dwight Patten, group legal director, Association for Consultancy and Engineering
"It arose in part because of a persistent market response that the 2009 editions (as revised) were too consultant friendly and perhaps not easy to use in terms of layout and style."
Is it easier to succeed with a default payment notice claim in Scotland than in England?
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS Ltd
"On first reading it might appear that the court strayed from what has been said in the TCC concerning the requirement for there to be 'intent' as well as form and substance."
Valuing variations under a construction contract
Michael Sergeant, partner, Holman Fenwick Willan LLP
"Construction contracts adopt two quite different approaches to the pricing of variations… This distinction is often overlooked (or not fully appreciated), but it lies at the heart of a number of problem situations that arise in the valuation of variations."
"Mens rea" in calls under on demand security instruments
Marcus Birch, senior associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"Taken together, these cases are comforting for those who prize the robust enforcement of on demand instruments..."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- What does "basis", as used in the payment provisions of the Construction Act 1996, mean?
- Is there recent case law on variation of a construction contract, particularly in the context of adjudication enforcement proceedings?
- In the absence of a pay less notice, should my client serve a statutory demand or start an adjudication?
- Does the limit of indemnity under a contractor's professional indemnity insurance operate as a limit on its liability?
- Why does the Justice.gov website still publish the first edition of the construction pre-action protocol?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- Spring 2017 Budget business tax predictions
- Section 68 and 69 challenges to arbitrator's award dismissed (TCC)
- Letter of credit: presentation valid despite restriction on payment of underlying debt (Court of Appeal)
- CIOB publishes modern slavery toolkit
- Recent environmental, construction and health and safety offence sentencing updates
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.