Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Makdessi made simple, but will it have any impact on the construction industry?
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS Ltd
"In my view, Makdessi is likely to have an impact on the construction industry, but we will have to wait see what that impact is, and whether it is positive or negative."
Contract administrators' liability for variations
Michael Sergeant, partner, Holman Fenwick Willan LLP
"When the contractor receives a variation instruction from the contract administrator it has no idea whether the employer has authorised the change."
Can you use adjudication to resolve preliminary issues?
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"This means... it can be 'an extremely cost-effective and efficient way of narrowing the issues between the parties' because it saves [parties] the expense of addressing all the issues between them."
Endeavouring to be clear: what does "all reasonable endeavours" mean in practice?
Gareth Stringer, senior associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"This case underlines the importance of including specific drafting to clarify the scope of a qualified obligation..."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can you do without professional indemnity insurance if you are sub-contracting the design services?
- What can I do if the employer under a construction contract will not issue a completion certificate?
- Does a bank holiday count as a day under the Scheme for Construction Contracts?
- Is a development finance agreement a "construction contract" under the Construction Act 1996?
- What happens when my client is selling a property where building works were carried out without a party wall award?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- National infrastructure assessment consultation
- Arbitration blogs: appeals, intra-EU BITs, ERA Pledge, ICCA Mauritius and investment arbitration in Latin America
- Construction blogs: Makdessi and variations
- Expert evidence: ambit of conditional disclosure order (County Court)
- NEC3 sub-contract adjudication provisions broad enough to cover dispute under alleged settlement agreement
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.