Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
About this practice area
Court of Appeal in Transocean interprets limitation and exclusion clause
Paul Bury, barrister, Keating Chambers
"…the Court of Appeal has held that in order to begin, start with the natural meaning of the language used. In most cases, that will also be where you can end."
Is it time for greater gender parity among adjudicators?
Catherine Gelder, partner, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"…this lack of representation and the lack of focus on gender parity within the body of adjudicators is at odds with the construction industry and other dispute resolution bodies."
RICS consults on fourth edition of adjudicator’s guidance note
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"The consultation on the draft guidance is open until 21 October 2016. I'm sure RICS would love to hear from you!"
Harding v Paice and Springall – Episode V: a case of no apparent bias
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS Ltd
"Since the Cofely judgment, allegations of apparent bias have been the flavour of the month, with disgruntled responding parties evidently seeing this as a way of avoiding the implications of adjudicators' decisions."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- What is the relationship between practical completion and liquidated damages?
- What type of dispute can be referred to adjudication?
- Which adjudicator nominating body should the parties apply to?
- Can liquidated damages expressed to be £X per week be pro-rated?
- What falls within the definition of Statutory Requirements in a JCT contract?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- Recent environmental, construction and health and safety offence sentencing updates
- JCT publishes its Design and Build, 2016 Editions
- Construction blogs: Transocean, gender parity and adjudicator guidance
- Crown Commercial Service publishes updated guidance on paying invoices in 30 days
- Adjudicator's failure to disclose involvement in simultaneous adjudication was breach of natural justice (TCC)
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Has it really been 10 years? This October see’s Sweet & Maxwell host its 10th Annual Construction Law Conference. The website is now live, please click here to view the most up to date information regarding the key themes and speakers. Book your place now.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.