Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Adjustment of liquidated damages: freedom to contract v unfair windfall
Matthew Heywood, senior associate and Charlotte Holmes, associate, Pinsent Masons LLP
"...in Qatar, in contrast to the UAE, the parties have the assurance that the damages will not be increased by the court to reflect the actual loss suffered."
When is a response not a response in adjudication proceedings?
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"...although a party says it will not take part, its 'defence' [may] have been articulated sufficiently within correspondence to enable... the adjudicator, to consider it when deciding the matter referred."
Eurocom v Siemens: multiple bites of the cherry?
Suber Akther, Solicitor advocate and in-house litigation lawyer, Siemens plc
"A party cannot simply repackage claims and seek to re-adjudicate matters. Decided matters are binding in the interim..."
Parties in the TCC: prepare for trial and to settle
Elizabeth Repper, barrister and mediator, Keating Chambers
"In CIP Properties v Galliford Try, Coulson J said that in the TCC ordinarily there would be no stay for ADR ordered or pause in the proceedings for ADR."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- When should a tenant's collateral warranty be completed?
- Licences for alterations - is the tenant covered by the contractor's insurance and can the tenant's successor take the benefit of the licence?
- What is the practical distinction between design and workmanship?
- Might testing a product on a construction site amount to "advice" under the Construction Act 1996?
- Should I serve a party wall notice before removing a chimney breast on my side of the wall?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
Alongside our specialist know-how, subscribers can now access specimen copies of JCT contracts on Practical Law. See our JCT contracts toolkit.
Our Ask forum now includes Construction queries. See what your peers have asked, view our replies and join the discussion.