Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Unintentional witness bias in court
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"According to the Postnote, asking a leading question can lead to the witness answering in a 'significantly less accurate' manner than if the question is non-leading..."
Direct payments to suppliers on a construction project
Geraldine Laing, associate director, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"One possible solution to this problem could be to use a project bank account. They can provide security and certainty of payment to the supply chain, and have been extensively (and successfully) used by major public sector employers."
Alliance contracting: breaking with tradition
Paul Walsh, partner, Hill Dickinson LLP
"Without a doubt, past projects and recent economic conditions have highlighted the need for innovation and leading-edge thinking and an environment of openness and trust."
Conditions precedent and the potential application of UCTA
Calum Lamont, barrister, Keating Chambers
"The interesting repercussion of the judgment... is that it would appear to be possible to deal on written standard terms of business for the purposes of engaging UCTA, even if only one of the terms in the contract in question emanates from those standard terms of business."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Does a party have to challenge all elements of an adjudicator's decision?
- Do you publish a draft building contract?
- Is a claim for liquidated damages caught by the construction and engineering pre-action protocol?
- Is there a statutory definition of "construction"?
- What happens if one party refuses to give the other an executed copy of the JCT contract?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- Dispute Resolution blog to 27 July 2016: predictive coding and County Court Legal Advisers Pilot Scheme
- CMA accepts undertakings in lieu in Breedon Aggregates / Hope Construction merger
- Construction blogs: bias, direct payments and alliance contracting
- Supreme Court allows insurers to unravel settlement agreement
- Deal intelligence: project finance
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Has it really been 10 years? This October see’s Sweet & Maxwell host its 10th Annual Construction Law Conference. The website is now live, please click here to view the most up to date information regarding the key themes and speakers. Book your place now to ensure you get a discounted price.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.