Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
What have we agreed? Common pitfalls in offer and acceptance
Nicola Thompson, associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"Two recent cases highlight some common pitfalls for contracting parties. In both cases, the parties have suffered commercially and learned their lessons the hard way."
Adjudication "at any time" unless there is a final certificate
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"What happens when the principles of 'at any time' collide with those concerned with the conclusivity of final certificates?"
Adjudicators, their office managers, and natural justice: a cautionary tale
Richard Sage, barrister, Crown Office Chambers
"The facts of Paice v MJ Harding are bizarre, and potentially troubling for those involved in adjudications."
Mediation update: court fees, proportionality and unreasonable refusal
Elizabeth Repper, barrister, Keating Chambers
"Is it time for parties to revisit the question of why they should mediate?"
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Is a lack of time to respond a breach of natural justice in adjudication?
- Can I pay an amount claimed in the County Court and later withhold that amount from the retention?
- Do you publish an appointment letter for a decorator?
- Can we exclude section 111 of the Construction Act in our contract?
- Where can I find a scope of services for a principal designer under the CDM 2015?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- PLC Magazine March 2015: construction-related items
- Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill receives Royal Assent
- Government publishes final health and safety progress report
- DfT updates plans to protect the proposed route for Crossrail 2
- New practice note on the new and revised procurement procedures under the PCR 2015
Alongside our specialist know-how, subscribers can now access specimen copies of JCT contracts on Practical Law. See our JCT contracts toolkit.
Our Ask forum now includes Construction queries. See what your peers have asked, view our replies and join the discussion.