Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Net contribution: a problem shared?
Partner, John Huhges-D'Aeth: "The decision in West and another v Ian Finlay & Associates may well be right on its facts, but some of the reasoning appears startling and merits a closer look."
An appeal or just reinforcing the adjudicator's decision?
Director, Matt Molloy: "...whatever you call it, [the judgment in Northern Ireland Housing Executive v Healthy Buildings (Ireland) Ltd] demonstrates that what happened in practice was, effectively, an appeal because the Housing Executive believed the adjudicator got the law wrong."
Hillcrest Homes v Beresford & Curbishley: a bridge too far
Partner, Michael Hopkins: "On receipt of CPR Part 8 proceedings, the respondent needs to weigh up its prospects on all issues before deciding whether or not to contest them."
Time to sort out limitation in economic loss cases
Barrister, David Sears QC, Crown Office Chambers: "...the judge highlights (unwittingly) the essential problem with this approach, namely the fact that no-one knew at practical completion that there was any physical damage or that there was anything to repair."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Are party wall rights assignable to a purchaser of property?
- What were the Building Regulation requirements in 1990 regarding a rear extension and loft conversion?
- Should a funder agree to an equivalent rights of defence clause in a collateral warranty?
- If a contract is silent as to novation, can it be unilaterally novated?
- What happens if employer exceeds the agreed deferment of possession under JCT clause 2.5?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
We work with law firms and industry to deliver our materials, including our:
- Parties had a construction contract as exceptions in section 105(2)(c) of the Construction Act 1996 did not apply
- New practice note on identifying and managing project finance risks
- Adjudication "commenced" when notice of adjudication given under JCT ICD
- New construction payment charter imminent
- Welsh Government procurement advice and guidance on project bank accounts
Autumn 2014, London.
We are delighted to announce the return of Practical Law’s Energy Law Forum providing a platform for legal and compliance professionals in the energy industry.
This year’s practice-driven summit will give you an excellent opportunity to network with the best of the Energy Law sector and enable you to assess the latest legal developments from a practical business perspective.
Register your interest today.
Our Ask forum now includes Construction queries. See what your peers have asked, view our replies and join the discussion.