Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Does the court have to sanction all extensions to the litigation timetable?
Senior associate, Alexandra Clough: "I suggest seriously considering making an application to the court for any extension, whether agreed or not."
London and Edinburgh disagree on the application of Article 1 of ECHR to judication
Director, Jonathan Cope: "In Whyte and Mackay, Lord Malcolm declined to enforce an adjudicator's decision... As I said at the time, I thought the English courts were unlikely to follow that decision..."
Arbitrations, agreements and alternative arguments
Senior associate, Craig Macphee: "The TCC's decision in The Secretary of State for Defence v Turner Estate Solutions Ltd provides yet another example of the courts refusing to interfere with the arbitration process and disturb an arbitral tribunal's award."
Adjudication: reversing the burden of proof?
Barrister, David Sheard, Keating Chambers: "...while established wisdom has always been that an adjudicator's decision should not reverse the burden of proof, recent Court of Appeal comments in [Walker Construction v Quayside Homes] would appear to cast doubt upon it."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can I claim current losses and reserve the right to claim future losses in a single letter of claim?
- Can an employer provide for non-payment for late completion under a construction contract?
- What does the employer's fiduciary duty towards the retention under a JCT contract require in practice?
- Do you know of case law that defines "tempest"?
- How does an employer recover an advance payment under an advance payment bond if the works don't start?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
We work with law firms and industry to deliver our materials, including our:
- Court deadlines, adjudication and the ECHR and the meaning of interim binding
- Arguable case for implied trust in favour of factoring company (TCC)
- New practice note on security in real estate development finance
- Adjudicator does not have jurisdiction to determine whether payment made to assignor or assignee
- Injunctions: Court of Appeal on adequate remedy test when contractual clause limiting damages
Our Ask forum now includes Construction queries. See what your peers have asked, view our replies and join the discussion.