Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
About this practice area
In vogue again: construction management
Kimberly Roberts, associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"In the last 12 months I have seen several projects move from two-stage design and build to construction management… [in each case] the client has been faced with a contractor who is unwilling to take on the full risk of DB without the promise of a significant premium."
Legal and equitable assignment arguments delivered through the mail
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"What I found helpful from the judgment is how it identifies the conditions that need to be satisfied for there to be a legal assignment."
Time waits for no man: an important decision on delays in construction contracts
Laurence Page, barrister, Hardwicke
"Now that the commercial implications of the clause have been highlighted, the JCT may well reconsider the manner in which delays are calculated..."
Our take on the new ACE Professional Services Agreement, 2017 edition
Dwight Patten, group legal director, Association for Consultancy and Engineering
"It arose in part because of a persistent market response that the 2009 editions (as revised) were too consultant friendly and perhaps not easy to use in terms of layout and style."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Does the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) do away with the need for building control approval?
- What should a funder consider when the building contractor goes into administration?
- Why state that a professional indemnity policy must not require the insured to "discharge any liability" before being entitled to recover from its insurer?
- What does "basis", as used in the payment provisions of the Construction Act 1996, mean?
- Is there recent case law on variation of a construction contract, particularly in the context of adjudication enforcement proceedings?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- CIC publishes 2017 users' guide to adjudication
- No lifting of the embargo on disclosing a draft judgment under Practice Direction 40E (Court of Appeal)
- Construction blogs: construction management, assignment and delay
- Public sector blogs: The problems facing whistleblowers
- Spring 2017 Budget business tax predictions
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.