Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
What law governs your arbitration clause? You decide
Knowledge development lawyer, Victoria Clark: "If your arbitration agreement does not specify a governing law, there is no internationally accepted approach to determining what the governing law should be."
NEC, notices of dissatisfaction and the Arbitration Act 1996
Director, Matt Molloy: "I was rather surprised to see the arguments advanced in Fermanagh District Council v Gibson (Banbridge) Ltd, which reached the Court of Appeal in Northern Ireland."
Personal liability, contractual liability, tortious liability: what's the difference?
Partner, Shy Jackson: "Can designers rest easy? The claim failed on the facts but the judgment does make a few suggestions as to when such liability could arise. The dividing line is perhaps not as clear as it could be."
If you get an order for indemnity costs, does your cost budget go out of the window?
Barrister, Crispin Winser, Crown Office Cambers: "...there are two conflicting first instance decisions on this point and it is surely only a matter of time before the Court of Appeal is called upon to consider the question."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can I respond to an adjudication referral notice in a rejoinder or only in a reply?
- What constitutes "completion" under paragraph 7 of Part II of the Scheme for Construction Contracts 1998?
- Can an adjudicator rectify the parties' construction contract?
- Does maintenance of an off-shore wind turbine constitute construction operations for the purposes of the Construction Act?
- Is there case law on implied indemnities from consultants and how are damages calculated?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
- DCLG continues housing standards review with technical consultation
- Partial stay of enforcement: significant risk claimant would not be able to repay
- CAT stays Lafarge Tarmac and Hope Construction Materials appeals
- TUPE service provision changes: tribunal erred on whether project manager was part of the organised grouping of employees (EAT)
- Election timetable confirms purdah to commence on 30 March 2015
Alongside our specialist know-how, subscribers can now access specimen copies of the 2011 suite of JCT contracts on Practical Law. See our JCT contracts toolkit.
Autumn 2014, London.
We are delighted to announce the return of Practical Law’s Energy Law Forum providing a platform for legal and compliance professionals in the energy industry.
This year’s practice-driven summit will give you an excellent opportunity to network with the best of the Energy Law sector and enable you to assess the latest legal developments from a practical business perspective.
Find out more and register.