Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Topical issues experienced at the coal face of adjudication practice
Tim Hillier, associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"Most readers will spot some old favourites that are still causing a few headaches, and also some newer issues that have been building to a crescendo more recently."
Why try to resolve a neighbour dispute using mediation?
Elizabeth Repper, barrister, Keating Chambers
"Norris J suggested that it is time for the court to help parties involved in a boundary dispute, dispute over a right of way or other neighbour dispute. This help should take the form of a standard direction."
Expert determination cases are a bit like buses as two come along together
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS
"Just after I had finished writing about Shafi v Rutherford, I read another Court of Appeal judgment on expert determination (Premier Telecom Communications v Webb)."
Penalties: a genuine re-estimate of loss?
Simon Liddiard, principal solicitor at Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP's Managed Legal Service for Thames Water
"I suspect that this decision [in Unaoil Ltd v Leighton Offshore Pte Ltd] may well result in a new line of cases."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can the terms of a licence to alter override the need to comply with the Party Wall Act 1996?
- Can an employer under a construction contract withhold a sum due because of a defect, even after the rectification period?
- If a novation is drafted so as to provide a release from all liabilities under the contract being novated, can a tortious claim still be brought?
- Should a party operating and managing a facility accept the risk of construction defects?
- What are the principles behind a main contractor's responsibility for a sub-contractor's default?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
- Scottish Court of Session lifts automatic suspension of award of framework contract for street lighting materials
- Adjudication, mediation and expert determination
- High Court lifts automatic suspension of award of MoD contract
- Stay allows dispute adjudication board (DAB) to determine dispute under FIDIC Silver Book (TCC)
- No requirement for applicant to warn non-party of risks of costs order against him (High Court)
Alongside our specialist know-how, subscribers can now access specimen copies of the 2011 suite of JCT contracts on Practical Law. See our JCT contracts toolkit.
Autumn 2014, London.
We are delighted to announce the return of Practical Law’s Energy Law Forum providing a platform for legal and compliance professionals in the energy industry.
This year’s practice-driven summit will give you an excellent opportunity to network with the best of the Energy Law sector and enable you to assess the latest legal developments from a practical business perspective.
Find out more and register.