Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
About this practice area
Are oral variations worth the paper they aren't written on?
John Denis-Smith, barrister, 39 Essex Chambers
"…one might expect to see more oral hearings in adjudications… as adjudicators are required to consider whether or not such a variation was agreed."
Serial adjudication again
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"To understand how the fourth adjudicator's decision ended up before the courts, it is necessary to look at what the second adjudicator said in his decision."
November 2016 digest: Ch-ch-changes
Practical Law Construction
"Changes in construction litigation are rare, so imagine our excitement this month when a new edition of the pre-action protocol came into force."
Court of Appeal's guidance on the Party Wall Act and basement construction
Crispin Winser, barrister, Crown Office Chambers
"The court concluded that there is no absolute obligation on party wall surveyors to authorise a design that causes the minimum of inconvenience to the adjoining owner."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can a homeowner set off against sums due to the contractor if section 106 of the Construction Act 1996 applies?
- How might we document stage payments on a modest building project?
- Is a contract for manufacture, supply, delivery and installation of steelwork a construction contract?
- Can I terminate if the employer is threatening my staff?
- Does my contract comply with the payment provisions of the Construction Act 1996?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- JCT Intermediate Building Contract, 2016 Editions available on Practical Law
- JCT publishes its Intermediate Building Contract, 2016 Editions
- High Court refuses to make specific disclosure order in procurement challenge
- Construction blogs: oral variations and serial adjudication
- New schedule of amendments to JCT Standard Building Contract, 2016 edition
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.