Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Alternative tactics to obtain payment (but only where there are no "shadowy" claims)
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS Ltd
"I think that Space Change deployed some alternative and under-used tactics (suspension, termination and winding-up) in this case."
Today's the day: Utilities Contracts Regulations 2016
Stella Mitchell, partner and Katy Wall, senior associate at Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"These changes have been introduced to codify case law, simplify procedures, provide additional flexibility and facilitate the market participation of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and start-ups."
Enforcing a judgment against assets in Dubai: a new path or shaky ground?
Damian Crosse, partner, and Christopher Young, associate, Pinsent Masons LLP
"[DNB Bank v Gulf Eyadah] is of particular interest to those in the construction space who might be less familiar with the DIFC and its use as a conduit for enforcement onshore in Dubai."
Arbitrators' conflicts of interest and apparent bias
Sara Paradisi, associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"These cases confirm that the courts will be guided by, but will not blindly follow, the IBA Guidelines [on Conflicts of Interest in International Arbitration] and will instead apply the English law test for bias."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Does section 6 of the Party Wall Act 1996 apply to my client's proposed works?
- What should a homeowner do if the builder had caused damage to its property?
- Do we need to serve party wall notices on the owner/occupier of a substation on our land?
- What is the scope of a "fitness for purpose" obligation in a professional appointment?
- Why does a Building Regulations certificate state that it is "not conclusive evidence" of compliance?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- Court of Appeal considers effectiveness of anti-oral variation clauses
- Construction blogs: termination and severance
- Clause may be penalty despite limited impact on contract breaker (High Court)
- Dispute Resolution blogs to 27 April 2016: contract termination, part three of Birss J interview and costs budgeting
- Arbitration blogs: incorporating arbitration clauses, late submissions, IBA Guidelines and the 23rd ICCA Congress
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.