Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Costs budgeting: TCC gives out the hairdryer treatment in GSK v QPR
Callum Johnson, associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"...it is hard to look at the estimated hours in GSK's budget without drawing breath. 750 hours of lawyers' time to prepare a 12-page particulars of claim? 224 hours for solicitors to prepare for a four-day trial?"
The trials and tribulations of hybrid bonds
Jancyn Gardiner, editor, Practical Law
"The problem with hybrid bonds is that they can be difficult to interpret, leading to uncertainty as to their effect."
Are we closer to an end to smash and grab adjudications?
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"Henia Investments v Beck Interiors... reflects the continuing moves by the TCC to supervise our industry where it perceives there may be an injustice or gamesmanship."
Walker and the burden of proof: where are we after Aspect?
David Sheard, barrister, Keating Chambers
"I do think that any attempt to use an adjudicator's decision to reverse the burden of proof is, notwithstanding Gloster LJ's comments, ultimately unlikely to be successful."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Have the courts considered the meaning of "costs reasonably and properly incurred" and "unavoidable consequence" in an NEC3 context?
- What may an employer claim following extensive delay under an EPC contract?
- My client has offered to make good damage it caused to a neighbour's property, can the neighbour refuse?
- Can the employer serve a pay less notice against an interim certificate?
- What considerations arise when appointing a consultant with joint clients?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- August 2015 digest: payment notices and costs budgets
- Crown Commercial Service Procurement Policy Note on supporting apprenticeships and skills through public procurement
- Crown Commercial Service guidance on "public/ public" contracts
- High Court guidance on admission of expert evidence
- Public procurement legislation and policy review: June - August 2015
Sweet & Maxwell's 9th annual Construction Law Conference will be held in London on 8 October 2015. Delivered in partnership with Keating Chambers, the conference will ensure you can develop your practice across all key construction areas.
2015 will see the launch of a new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.