Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
TCC considers the impact that paying an adjudicator's fees has on jurisdictional challenges
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS Ltd
"While [PC Harrington v Systech clauses] have proved to be unpopular with some parties, on this occasion MW High Tech benefited from it. Perhaps we will now see parties' objections to such clauses fall away."
Consumer Rights Act 2015: mostly plain sailing but watch out for Feldarol
Richard Benn, associate, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"The CRA introduces a number of new rules which may come as something of a surprise to traders carrying out construction works [for a consumer]."
Bogged down in paperwork over steelwork exceptions under section 105(2)
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"...section 105(2) [of the Construction Act 1996] should be consigned to George Orwell's fate worse than death, Room 101!"
Supreme Court reformulates the penalty rule in Cavendish v Makdessi
Matthew Finn, barrister, Keating Chambers
"...in determining what constitutes a penalty in the future, Lord Dunedin's four principles will be used in conjunction with the 'legitimate interest' test put forward in subtly different ways."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- How does the contractor's right of suspension under the JCT Minor Works Building Contract 2011 relate to its right to terminate?
- Can an employer claim hotel expenses from the contractor following a flood at the property?
- What is the effect of a fitness for purpose warranty in a contract for the supply of equipment?
- Can parties agree to exclude adjudication in their contract?
- Do replacement windows need to comply with the Building Regulations 2010?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- PLC Magazine December 2015: construction-related items
- Late change to Supreme Court judgment in Cavendish and Parking Eye
- Parties' hybrid contract led to payment muddle but summary judgment refused (TCC)
- Dispute Resolution Blog to 25 November 2015: ratifying instructions, advising on funding options, and CPRC meeting snippets
- 2015 Autumn Statement and Spending Review: key agriculture and rural land announcements
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.