Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Penalty clauses: genuine pre-estimate of loss versus commercial justification
Senior associate, Melissa Moriarty: "...our advice to clients... remains the same: liquidated damages should be calculated to reflect your genuine expectations of your losses."
A CVA "Get out of jail free" card for responding parties in adjudication?
Director, Jonathan Cope: "...it must be somewhat frustrating for Westshield given that the Whitehouses hadn't raised the counterclaim before the adjudication."
Can a third party use adjudication?
Trainee solicitor, Alasdair Blackshaw: "...it would be unusual to see an express power to adjudicate included in the provisions granted to third parties under construction contracts."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can you refer the same dispute to a second adjudicator before the first adjudicator has reached his decision?
- What is the authority for the concept of "temporary finality" or "interim-binding" in adjudication?
- Does the PWA 1996 contain any exceptions and what information is required for a section 3 notice?
- Are works to a chimney stack caught by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996?
- Can a letter of reliance have a longer limitation period than the underlying professional appointment?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
We work with law firms and industry to deliver our materials, including our:
- Monthly public procurement case law digest for November 2013
- 2013 Autumn Statement: environmental implications
- 2013 Autumn Statement: business tax implications
- Government consults on draft National Policy Statement for the National Road and Rail Networks
- Share purchase agreement: penalty and forfeiture clauses (Court of Appeal)
Our Ask forum now includes Construction queries. See what your peers have asked, view our replies and join the discussion.