Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
Guilty as charged? Or how to get rights wrong
Iain Suttie, associate director, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"What are the consequences of an absolute assignment of rights under the various project documents to a funder?"
Construction contracts and construction operations looked at again
Jonathan Cope, director, MCMS Ltd
"What have the Romans ever done for us? comes from Monty Python's Life of Brian and was the inspiration for this post."
Adjudicator entitled to payment as no breach or lack of jurisdiction
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"As an adjudicator who sometimes does not get paid, I have a vested interest in seeing successful claims like this one [Kitt and another v The Laundry Building Ltd and another]."
Liability for variations
Michael Sergeant, partner, Holman Fenwick Willan LLP
"...in order to assess whether something is a variation, it is first necessary to determine what the contract requires the contractor to build."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Does the freeholder have to give notice as well as the leaseholder under the Party Wall Act 1996?
- Is unexploded ordnance caught by clause 32 (fossils, etc) of the ICE Conditions of Contract?
- Do you have a contract for a seller who carries out work for the buyer of a property?
- What are the transitional provisions for CDM co-ordinators under the CDM 2015?
- What contracts should a non-professional developer use when building a house in his garden?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- CDM 2015 formally made and laid before Parliament
- Construction operations and funders taking assignment
- Effect of competing dispute resolution clauses in settlement agreement and underlying agreement (Commercial Court)
- Cherry picking claim referred to adjudication not only permissible but "to be encouraged" (TCC)
- Court grants declaration on validity of service at default address under CPR 6.9 (TCC)
Alongside our specialist know-how, subscribers can now access specimen copies of JCT contracts on Practical Law. See our JCT contracts toolkit.
Our Ask forum now includes Construction queries. See what your peers have asked, view our replies and join the discussion.