Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Is there a basis upon which we can request the details of staff costs of a sub-contractor we aren't in direct contract with?
- Can an individual's personal representative withdraw any personal data consent the deceased may have given when still alive?
- Does the 8th principle apply to the voluntary disclosure of employee personal data to a US government body in connection with potential violations of US arms trafficking regulations?
- Can one group company rely on "soft opt-in" consent given to another group company to send direct marketing?
- Can educational establishments use historical student data on application forms or exam results to send fundraising information and could a third party process this data?
A review of the nature and scope of UK data protection laws including a discussion of the application of those laws in specific areas such as direct marketing.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
The EU General Data Protection Regulation ((EU)2016/679) (GDPR) will apply in EU member states from May 2018. Practical Law has published a toolkit which contains key resources and guidance to assist organisations in preparing for and complying with the GDPR, including consideration of the impact of Brexit.
Practical information on topical cross-border data protection issues and country-specific Q&As on data protection law and practice.
- Article 29 Working Party adopts GDPR Action Plan 2017
- ICO updates GDPR Overview
- European Commission publishes draft E-Privacy Regulation
- FOIA: Council required to disclose draft investigation report arising from councillor's alleged breach of code of conduct (FTT(IR))
- Court of Appeal in Northern Ireland rules on Facebook privacy case
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.