Nature of practice and clients
Powell Gilbert LLP (www.powellgilbert.co.uk) is one of the UK’s leading law firms specialising in intellectual property (IP) litigation and advisory work, including patents, trademarks, design rights, copyright and confidential information.
Powell Gilbert’s team of lawyers brings to bear a truly unique blend of top-flight legal expertise and robust technical backgrounds, having a genuine specialism in Life Sciences work. Many of the team have PhDs or Masters’ degrees in such disciplines as biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, chemistry and also computer sciences. The firm has acted in many of the leading patent cases on biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and medical devices before the UK courts. We are frequently involved in devising, and assisting in the implementation of, pan-European litigation strategy including EPO oppositions and CJEU proceedings. We are also experienced in advising on regulatory issues affecting product life cycle management.
- The firm was founded in March 2007 by five partners and five associates, and has now quadrupled in size comprising 54 people, including 30 fee earners and eight partners. One of the largest IP litigation teams in the UK.
- All of the firm’s lawyers have technical backgrounds, including nine PhDs, in subjects ranging from molecular biology to computer sciences. Supported by an experienced team of paralegals including technical specialists.
- Members of the firm speak eight languages between them, including, French, German, Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- The firm’s offices are at 85 Fleet Street, a few minutes walk from the Royal Courts of Justice and the Rolls Building, which houses the Patents Court and the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (formerly the Patents County Court).
- Powell Gilbert has been involved in many of the leading cases before the UK Patents Courts over the past six years and counts amongst its clients a variety of multinational pharmaceutical companies, medical device companies and biotech companies from across Europe, Australia and the US.
- We are frequently involved in multi-national litigation (eg Europe, Scandinavia, US, Brazil, India, Japan and Australia), we often co-ordinate such cases.
- Focused on litigation, dispute resolution and strategic counselling for all areas of IP including patents, trade marks, copyright, design rights and confidential information.
- Our partners are involved in professional groups such as IPLA, AIPPI, INTA, GRUR and EPLAW, frequently speaking and writing on IP-related topics. The firm is often at the cutting edge of legal developments and has been actively involved in various organisations reviewing and commenting on the proposals for centralised European Patent Litigation in the Unified Patents Court.