Practical Law is working in association with MacIntyre Hudson Advisory Services to deliver a one day course on Demystifying Financial Statements - The Essentials on Thursday 9 May 2013.
About the Course
There are transactions where lawyers need an understanding of accounts. For example drafting the accounting aspects, such as the warranty section, of a share purchase agreement in an acquisition, the financial covenants clause in a loan agreement, loss of profit calculations in litigation, the tax consequences of these or advising on profit related pay schemes or pension plans as part of a remuneration scheme.
More generally lawyers also need to appreciate the impact the deal will have on the company's future financial statements; which can help to manage the risk that a transaction has unintended accounting consequences as well as meeting clients increasing expectations that their legal advisors have a thorough grounding in finance.
The material will be covered using both tutor led annotation on screen and team worked examples as well as a set of accounts (which delegates will be given the opportunity to mark up).
- Statutory accounts versus management accounts
- The framework of Financial Reporting in the UK
- Key components of a set of accounts
- The Audit Report
- Reinforcing why cash and profit are different and which rules when?
- Other fundamental accounting concepts, policies and estimates needing clarification (Going concern, consistency, prudence and the implications of changes in policies and estimates and why these are important)
- Line by line consideration of the key components of a set of UK GAAP accounts
- Exploration of the notes to the accounts - what extra useful information may be there about the business?
- Events after the Balance Sheet date
- Demystifying common financial terms such as working capital, net assets and gearing
- Summary of key terminology differences in an International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) set of accounts
You will benefit by:
- Spending less time in drafting and researching.
- Negotiating deals more effectively and efficiently.
- Being better prepared for client meetings.
Numbers are limited to ensure quality.
To book your place, please complete the following registration form by 11 April 2013 to claim our Early Bird Offer.
Other MHAS Events:
- Distributable Profits: The Essentials and Practical Applications
4 July 2013
- Financial Covenants and Accounting Practices
11 July 2013
- Business valuations for lawyers
12 September 2013
- Accounting Aspects of Acquisition Agreements
17 October 2013
Thursday 9 May 2013
- 09h30: Registration
- 10h00: Morning session
- 13h00: Lunch
- 13h40: Afternoon session
- 17h00: Course finishes
6 CPD Points
Book before 11 April 2013 to claim our Early Bird Offer!
- Subscribers: £325
- Non-Subscribers: £375
- Subscribers: £400
- Non-subscribers: £450
Maclntyre Hudson Advisory Services LLP
New Bridge Street House
30 - 34 New Bridge Street
London EC4V 6BJ
Please click here for directions.
Who should attend:
All lawyers of any level or practice area who need a better understanding of accounting terms or a refresher.
For more information on MacIntyre Hudson Advisory Services please click here.
If you would like to know more about any event, please contact the events team or call +44 20 7202 1220.
Follow our Events on Twitter.