About the podcast
This podcast considers situations where employees have the opportunity to exchange information with competitors and what steps should be taken to avoid being in breach of competition law.
Practical Law podcasts are produced in collaboration with JurisProductions. The podcasts can be played through Practical Law's website, or downloaded in mp3 format. Access to Practical Law podcasts requires a subscription or a free trial.
Note that since the podcast was recorded there may have been developments in the law. To check the latest position, see our maintained resources under the Sources and References tab above.
After listening to this podcast you will:
- Have an overview of the legal context of what is meant by information exchange and when and why it can be problematic.
- Have an overview of the various types of commercially sensitive information that are covered by the competition rules.
- Have considered various scenarios where information exchanges may take place.
- Understand the risks of infringing the competition rules.
- Understand practical steps that might be taken to avoid being in breach of competition law.
Listen to our Practical Law podcasts to as part of your ongoing development, and gain constructive insights into the topics that matter in your practice area. You can then take the accompanying quiz to test your knowledge and demonstrate your understanding.
For those using the existing CPD system, the time spend listening to the podcast can be claimed as part of your CPD requirement, with an extra half hour if you complete the quiz.
You may also claim CPD points by listening to podcasts and then having a face-to-face discussion about them. You can claim the total time of the session provided it lasts at least an hour and the podcasts listened to comprise no more than half the total session.
- Transactions and practices: EU Co-operation between competitors
- Transactions and practices: UK Co-operation between competitors
- Checklist: Information exchange: reducing the risk of infringing Article 101(1)
- EU competition law on direct and indirect exchanges of information between competitors: how do you know when you are acting illegally?
How do I listen to this podcast?
You can listen to the podcast in two different ways:
- By playing in your internet browser. Just click the podcast you would like to hear from the playlist, and press the play icon on the player.
- By downloading the mp3 file. Right-click on the download link, and select Save Target As to save the file to your computer. You can then listen to this on your computer, or transfer it to a portable media player.
The podcast will not play on my computer
If you're listening to this podcast using the embedded player, please make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed on your computer. You can download this free here.
If you have downloaded the mp3 file, make sure your computer has up-to-date audio software installed such as Windows Media Player, iTunes or RealPlayer.
I am still having difficulty
Please contact our customer support team if you require further assistance: email@example.com.
These podcasts are produced in collaboration with JurisProductions.